Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Gaining Momentum

Few things give me more pleasure than making a new journal. I still have a few pages to go in my present journal but just checking on my paper supply, pulling out the creamy, lovely paper, counting the sheets, determining that I have everything needed is enough to pull me into the delicious process. It's funny how often this has happened to me. Always when I am supposed to be doing other things is when the journal-making inspiration strikes. And every time I cannot resist the siren song. I have to make it NOW.

So I tear the paper for four signatures. It's going to be a pretty thick book. Mmmm, I like that.

I choose an image for the cover and then for the endpapers (above) and back paper. I paint a strip of canvas for the spine. I look at it this way and that way and tell myself it's going to be wonderful. I write a secret prayer inside the canvas of the spine. Life takes a good, firm spine.

I lay out the parts and smile. It feels right. Colors I have never used before. I am not a fan of purple but this soft twilight shade feels right. I use a color copy for the front, just because I've never done that before and I want to see how it wears. The back is a painted piece of textured wallpaper. I use matboard instead of bookboards; two pieces for each cover glued face to face. Also an experiment. In the past I've used wooden boards, acrylic sheets, Davey board and canvas board. It's all good.

I use some beads that were a trade 3 years ago at Artfest. Artfest! Yeeks, only a few days away and I'm very excited. With a zillion things to do I'm making a new journal instead. Yes, this is how I work; lots of sideways movement.

I find some alphabet beads and use them on the spine of the book. The "P" is for John's last name which I use when I feel especially wifey.

This shows the textured back cover. You could get a similar texture with crumpled up tissue paper I think. It's all ready for me now. I can't wait to get in there and make my mark!!

Yesterday I found a special gift in my mailbox from the very thoughtful Pilar Pollock. She works circles around most of us, participating in swaps, keeping up with her blog, etsy store, selling prints at Imagekind and also keeping her store stocked at Zazzle.

She said she used her "spider wisdom" to choose the color and how perfect it is. So if you want to see some great mixed media work, stroll over to one of her sites and look around. The work there is wonderful. And thank you again, Pilar.

Whew, I'm tired now. Time for chocolate. Hope your day held some special moments and I'll see you later this week. xo

36 comments:

Ellen Lyn said...

Just LOVELY!!!!

Barb Smith said...

OMG, Judy...that has to be the most fabulous journal I've ever seen. You've really outdone yourself with this one. One day I'll be able to make awesome journals like yours...maybe. LOL
Peace & Love,
♥ Barb ♥

Donna Heart said...

Beautiful! I would love to try making one of these - what a treasure - you are a talented one!

DS Borror said...

so the beads are so cute and small they made me smile. the journal is lovely.!

Lila Rostenberg said...

Beautiful new journal! An inspiration! I love the "how-to" photos!

Kim said...

Beautiful journal- I love the colors together! I have made a couple journals with acrylic covers after seeing yours on your blog long ago and you were nice enough to tell me how you made them. I think of you whenever I look at them. You are truly an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I love your work so much ... oh to have a journal like yours would be heaven! May I ask what type of paper you use for your signatures? I am going to make one (I tell myself this everytime I see one you have made ... lol)

Anonymous said...

i feel that i navigate this life with a beautiful bird on my head. it sings...go here!!! make this now!!! move away from the computer!!

love you ..your delightful visions..your playful heart.

xoxoxo,
rebecca

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, oh, Judy, love it, it's DELICIOUS !!! what kinda paper did you use for the signatures ?? they loooook woooonderful : ) sooo glad you are feeling all (hope) better from the nasties (airplane-buggs) !! Happy Artfest to you, can't wait to see/read about your fun times there : )
Blessings, Sandra in AZ

Judy Wise said...

For this book I used a combination of Stonehenge and Lennox 100 paper. They are both 100% rag papers used for watercolor and printmaking - a pretty thick paper and very beautiful. Also affordable.

Candace said...

Very lovely work as always, Judy, and very uplifting! What, no purple in your (usual) palette? Dear me.
And I appreciated that link to Pilar, too. What a great gal!
Have a wonderful wonderful ArtFest! I'll miss you.
x

Kate Robertson said...

Judy,

Wow the journal is gorgeous.... I love making journals too! Can't get enough of them.

Kate

A.Smith said...

Ever so gorgeous! One of these days...no, too many things on my plate already but if someone could inspired me to do it, you my dearest are the one. Have fun up North and we will see you when you get back,
we are both looking forward to that.

Chris said...

JUDY! I love this!! It's so beautiful. I just made my first journal! It really IS appealing. And it is probably addictive! I'll use it up during my trip this week, and then I can make a new one!

I love the detail, and the texture. You are an inspiration.

Is Pilar fabulous, or WHAT?!

Anonymous said...

Oh Judy, I love your blog, you sound so much like me. I too love making journals and often do it when I should be creating something else, but oh well. your journal is lovely and so are you and your postings, thanks for sharing your life with all of us. peggy

Mixed Media Martyr said...

I adore your journal!!! It is gorgeous and you are very talented!

Judy said...

Very very yummy. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. Hug my bebe M deM when u see him shortly. i will miss catching up with u over there this time.
xo

Miriam Cutelis said...

oh...what an amazing journal! you are an inspiration

Lynn Cohen said...

Always nice to drop by and see what you are up to never disappointed.

Unknown said...

Wee! Your journal is amazing and just gorgeous! Love!

And, I love the scarf your friend sent-just amazing! What great inspirations!
take care,
merle

eb said...

what a beautiful journal Judy - you are such an inspiration!

xox - eb.

Karen Cole said...

You are truly gifted in so many ways.

Jennifer White said...

Have a fabulous time @ Artfest...love the journal you posted, wish I could feel it through my Mac...see you soon in Oregon, counting the days.

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

i love this journal...the colors are so me...you inspire me to bind some of my things..i am celebrating my 3rd blogacersary this week with a BiG GiVeAwAy...please come join in and spread the word...blessings, rebecca

Janny said...

Great work!

Mary lin Huskamp said...

Judy,

This is LOVELY!!! See you at Art Fest!

Hugs

Marylin

Ro Bruhn said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with journal making, I have the bug, when I should be completing jewellery orders.
Have a great time at Artfest

Kathy said...

Oh, I love your journal!!!

Donna Heart said...

Hi Judy - I loved your journal so much I went out today and bought some beautiful watercolour paper and canvas boards to make my own. I was so gung-ho that I immediately started tearing my paper up when I got home before checking your blog (insert mistake number 1) so instead of signatures, I have individual pieces of paper! Can you help? I was just wondering if there is another style I could do - and if so do you know of a good site to direst me to. It's expensive paper so I don't want to not use it. Thanks Judy!
X DH

Donna Heart said...

Thankyou Judy! Yes - I do understand what you were saying - so will see if I can get some of those papers and I'm off now to check out what Teesha has to offer. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly too! Have a great week!

Kim Rae Nugent said...

The journal is yummy, and thank you for adding something special to my day!

Danita said...

Everything you touch becomes beautiful, you're like a magician!
thanks a lot for your kind words in my blog :)
Danita

Kelly Snelling said...

it is utterly Scrumptious!

Sharon P Pope said...

Gorgeous new journal! Thanks for sharing your process. Have fun at Artfest!

Becky Mairi Farrell said...

Gorgeous journal, I want to make one now, seems like ages since I did any book making. I love the image you've used, and the idea of the secret prayer within the spine. Mmmmm.... I have absolutely no need for a new sketchbook - I must create a need!

The word verification I have to type now is dennesco. Sounds like it should be some kind of exotic coffee!

*jean* said...

ooo i just found your blog and i love your journal! i just made my first one and used an old linen table cloth for the binding instead of the book binding fabric the instructions called for...and i love that you added your initial beads and a special prayer in the spine...incredible! you are an inspiration and i will definitely be back to visit soon! thank you!!