Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Latest Big Thing

Breaking news: the sun comes out in Portland!! So welcome to my studio - today we'll be going over the new trick I learned at my last IEA meeting that I've been applying to every thin piece of art in my studio. You know, those beautiful works lying around that you did on 1/8" plywood or matboard. You wonder how to hang it. You dont want to mess with glass and frames but you want something a little more appealing than a pin in the wall. So here's where my latest big thing comes in.

Raid the wood shop for some strips of scrap. Grab your sweet little japanese saw (or whatever you have) and cut two pieces approximately the same size. Now put a screw eye in each one as shown in the photo above. Dont wire it yet. We'll use that yellow colored wood glue to glue the strips to the back of the art first. Let it dry overnight. The material in the picture above is matboard on which was a lovely painting but the matboard had warped. So the wood also flattened the mat.

Here is the same piece hanging on the wall after a wire was attached. See how the piece hangs out from the wall forming an intriguing shadow on the wall? Do I love this? You bet I do! And you can do it too with simple tools and a little bit of forehead wrinkling. (Both paintings by Misty Mawn.)

I leave you with another journal page. I bought new stencils this week and have come up with a spray box so the house can stay the color it is. I broke down and made up a bucket list. (Should I add Burning Man? There's still room.)

And thank you to Maralena for giving me the "You Make My Day" award. She has a very good blog that you will want to check out and I'm honored she thought of me for this award. I hope there is something to bring each of you a little joy today. It's there, just look for it and give thanks when it appears. It will deepen your well of pleasure. Happy Heart Day.

20 comments:

Sending Pages Out to Dry said...

What a cool idea! I've got more scraps than actual supplies and way too many collages done on canvas board. These make great covers for coptic-stitched books, but your idea for hanging is fabulous. Do you have any ideas for creating more wall space?
alicia
(sendingpagesouttodry.blogspot.com)

Veronica said...

Wow what an amazing studio. I so check your blog everyday. I love all your art. thank you for sharing

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day to a woman who personifies love! :-)

DJ said...

Thank you dear Judy! What a great mounting tip and way better than my fabric tab(s) glued on the back that NEVER end up even! Happy Valentines day and many heart hugs to you! Those would actually be returned heart hugs though.... since I don't think anyone can catch up with all the love you share everywhere you go.
You are heart filled...

Lynn Cohen said...

Cleverly done wall hanger. Just bought a new piece of art from a "fellow blogger artist" looks like a good way to hang it. Yours look beautiful hanging there.

Anonymous said...

That's such a neat idea! I like that. And the great thing is that while it looks ugly on the back, you don't see it, so what does it matter?

Angie in AZ said...

Thanks for sharing such a fantastic idea! I've gone the route of drilling holes and making ribbon ties for hanging and right now, for a class I'm teaching, we 14 are creating 11x14 works on canvas board but all will become part of a large collaborative piece. To hang these, I'm planning to add velcro to the back and thumbtack the other half of the velcro to the wall! Easy hanging and easy removal. They will be hung in our church and I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in the wall so this is my solution! I LOVE your idea though and plan to use it in the future! By the way, I just sent in my registration for Art Unraveled and I'm planning to take your class titled "so you want to sell you art". I'm looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

i love this idea and have been trying and trying to come up with the perfect way to hang my piece for my next gallery show....and here it is, PERFECT! Thank you! wink for showing my work, thank you for that, too!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend! xo

Jonna said...

What an awesome idea. Quick question. You say the painting was on mat board. Is this the type of mat board used to mat paintings? Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas (or findings) with the world.

One Love Photo said...

That is a really clever idea! I love the subtle effect of the shadow. Misty does such lovely work. Lucky You!

Ro Bruhn said...

What a fabulous idea Judy, thanks for sharing. I'm so glad to see, teaching in Australia is on your Life List, put my name down as your first student. Happy belated Valentine's Day.
Ro
xo

ginny said...

Wonderful idea for hanging thin prints, Judy. My husband has a habit of drawing on whatever is handy. He thinks they are toss-away art pieces, but I save them. This is a good display idea for said art pieces. Thanks. I always love reading about your days.

~jolene said...

Ya would've thought that by my age I would have dealt with all my HANG UPS...but nooooo, still many rest against a shelf,lean against a wall....and NOW, yes NOW sweet Judy I can conquer my hang ups thanks to you! We don't have a wood shed anymore...but I'm thinking (yes I am!) that those chunky strips of balsa wood at the art store can easily be cut to size and used...and lightweight to boot!
I am standing and APPLAUDING your idea! :) Mucho thanks!

Tally O said...

Brilliant hanging idea! Thanks for sharing! I think painting those wood pieces white (or buying them already painted)would really give a finished look to the front and side.

Anonymous said...

sweet clever Judy. are you& john going to mexico soon? have fun with katie! i've been sick, but your journal pages cheer me. very much.

Danita said...

That's one of the best ideas Judy!!!
I've been wondering what else to do with the panels for quite a while... now I know!!!! Thanks a lot for sharing!
Danita

mcdc3s said...

I love your studio.
You are amazing!
What a brilliant idea, and I can't wait to utilize the concept.
I love the shadow (but of course the art first) the hanging produced.
I have learned something new AGAIN from you!
You Artist Mastermind YOU!

eb said...

GREAT!!!!!!!!!

all of it...

xo - eb.

Kim said...

Great tip Judy! I will try this on a piece I am just about done with... Fondly Kim

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing that mounting tip! I love it.