Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tuesday Encaustic Report

This is the painting I did in class last night. Those streaks at the top are faux gold leaf. After I finished my painting I walked around the room and admired the work of the other students. Oh gosh, that might have been a mistake. One student in particular was working on a huge triptych that was THE most accomplished encaustic I've ever seen. (Kecia! I'm talking about you.) It made me realize I've just been playing and stalling for time. That I have a loooong way to go. But that is good information too. I need to push on, paint more, work harder. And I will.

9 comments:

Deirdra Doan said...

I really like your Encaustic!

Hope you bring some of them to the Class on Dec. 2. And maybe a few of your other paintings of women. I will be in your class and look forward to meeting you...

I will have another painting on my blog in a day or so. Sweating over the painted ornate frame I am trying to pull off. This multi media & collage is new to me. It can go on and on can't it?
See you soon!!!!

Linda Womack said...

Judy, you are being way too hard on yourself about the encaustic work. What you are posting here is SO beautiful! You have refined your style in other mediums first which gives you more freedom to experiment with the wax without trying to find your voice at the same time. Maybe you just need to find your waxy voice? :) Trust me, this is good work! See you soon, Linda

Lynn Cohen said...

For those of us new to this can you please explain "encaustic". Thanks.
Intricate fly!

Anonymous said...

It is much too late and past my bedtime.. But I have just stumbled upon your blog from Dispatch to LA. I will be back for more....I have just started to play with Beeswax and collage with my photographs. I feel a little lost and want to learn more. I think I may have just found a good spot!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Wise and wonderful Judy! Just remember--to some of us, YOU are our "Kecia."

:)

Deb

PennyBlue said...

This is lovely! I always wanted to experiment with encaustic. Keep going and HAVE FUN! No comparing! Happy Wednesday!

Lu said...

you are awesome and i really want to try encaustic because of your work.

Judy Wise said...

This is for bluejude. Thank you so much for reminding me not to compare. You are right; we should never do that.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

I love your encaustics! How do you get the circly bubbly patterns?