Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Adios San Miguelito

Well the good thing about being this sick right now is that it means I'll be well in time for Artfest, right? *snort ... hack* My head is like the swamp thing.

These are the last of the vacation photos. It's time to turn over a new page.

This is a shot of a corner of the living room of my friends' home on Quebrada Street. The coral paint on the right hand wall is more plaster painting done with dry pigments and lime on dry plaster. The ochre brushwork is actually gold; very luscious up close.

Me and Guy admiring a giant blue agave on our friend's hacienda.

Roses were inexpensive and available all over town. I heard they grow them in Peru.

Strange seed pods in a vase.

I admired this painting at Patsy's Place. Whoa!

And on the day we went to Pozos we had lunch at the Posada de las Minas. David Winslow took us on a tour of all the beautiful rooms there. I remember Katie telling me that she took a workshop here from Michael de Meng a couple of years ago. It is a gorgeous place; very quiet and well designed.

Nopales salad. Those cactus paddles again.

Now we're at the home of Thom, a collector of things strange and wonderful. He's the guy with the Memory Jugs. This is his collection of monkeys. I have no idea what they are or what they stand for but I like them. Everywhere I turned in his house there were collections.

And OMG, the library. Books I didn't know existed; rare books, limited editions and many handmade. He also had a table of models he'd made in wax that will be cast in bronze and as well he had Sculpey dolls he'd made. He's worked in ceramic too.

This is the cathedral at night. Gabriella told us that the architect based his design on Gaudi's work and I think you can see the resemblance.

Homeward bound. Tired but contented. Ready for the next adventure. Little did I know there was a bug lurking on that airplane, ready to jump my bones and flatten me.

Here's to health. xo

23 comments:

Barb Smith said...

I have enjoyed your trip pictures so much, Judy. I can tell what a wonderful time you had...thank you for sharing it with me. (I LOVE Nopalitos, btw. lol) Now, get to feeling better.
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Anonymous said...

Fantastic cathedral, much different than Orvieto's. The food looks yummy. Maybe if you had eaten some super hot food on your trip, it would have blown that bug out of your body! Bill Steiner

katie said...

I loved Pozos and I stayed in one of those beautiful rooms at Posada de las Minas. i love San Miguel and long to go back...i hope you're feeling better soon (rest, drink lots, rest, rest, rest....)
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

The monkeys are actually old mezcal bottles from the 30's-50's.
very cool collection.
thanks again for sharing,
robin

Anji Gallanos said...

Wow, gorgeous trip pictures. It's great to read the comments..b/c I was curious about the monkeys. What wonderful sights

anji

Carol Sloan said...

hope you're feeling better soon Judy. You never know what you're gonna find lurking in the airplane air...

ChandraT said...

Hi Judy,
Thanks so much for all you share. I was thrilled to see you will be at Random Arts in October...I am an NC girl and I am planning on being there!
Peace Love & Art,
Chandra

femminismo said...

Thanks for another mini-vacation. I loved the painting of the couple in the boudoir. Ooh la la!

Chris said...

Judy! Take care of your little self! You are so fabulous!

Now, about the seed pods... aren't they weirdly cool? yes! And your photos. You are a trooper, keeping me updated when you feel crappy. Oh, and updating everyone else, too.

Sounds so fabulous. I'm glad you got to go. That cactus! holy moly!

eh, my word verification is steer. hmm...
as in: Judy always STEERS me in the right direction.

yay!

Judy Wise said...

Robin, thank you so much for explaining the monkeys. They are just too cool! xo

Tita Mama said...

Hope you feel better soon! I would like to ask a question or two about the painting at Patsy's Place. What style is this called? Quite a number of years ago while surfing the internet, I ran across an artist that painted like this. I seem to recall that she lived in the western USA. Now, I am unable to find her. Do you know of any artists that paint in this style?

Karen Cole said...

Here's to your health, Judy. Hope you are feeling better by now...and here's to your next adventure.

You certainly have given us a beautiful taste of everything Mexican.

Thanks!

Sarah said...

Hi Judy!
I have really enjoyed looking at your photos from your visit! I especially love the sound and look of Thom's house. Hope you get over your bug soon.
Sarah :)

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

hi judy, hope you are feeling better. love seeing all the colors and flavors of your trip.

Are you going to the encaustic conference at montserrat this year?

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

{i tried to reply to your email, but it kept getting kicked back to me, so sorry for cluttering your comment box here!}

Thanks for the email, Judy. i'm trying to decide whether or not to
go. I would love to, but with the expense and all and then figuring
out time away from my family... But it seems like it would be such a great experience.
~bridgette

julie king said...

delightful photos, judy, but what a bummer that it ended with you getting sick! feel better soon! a hot cup of tea and a bowl of homemade chicken soup are zooming your way thru cyber space from me!!

Seth said...

Thanks for taking us along with you on this trip Judy!

Linda said...

Looks like a beautiful place to vacation. I'm jealous. :)

As for being sick now, take consolation in the fact that your didn't get sick while on vacation but that it held off until you were in the comfort of your own home. Feel better soon.

Candace said...

W.O.W.
Say I love Thom's collections. If I am not mistaken, the Puppetry book by Eileen Blumenthal is one I have... she also did a book with and about Julie Taymor's work. Fantastic.
Thank you so much for sharing this great adventure and its myriad visuals. And the actual names of the places I can dream about and maybe even go to!

FUN photo of John on the way home, btw. Always good going home, isn't it?

Your Friend in Athens

Nikki Hardin said...

I loved San Miguel when I was there...especially sitting and writing in the plaza (El Jardin?) every day. I envy your trip!

kelly barton art + design said...

all i can say is yummy!

Anonymous said...

Oh Judy- how beautiful it all is!!
I hope you are feeling better soon
hugs-
Tyn

Toni said...

Just a note of love from Zoe-Chocolate-Pawlets and me wishing you warm & fuzzies and hoping you're bones are no longer bug-jumped. Poor woman, I suppose a plate of chile relleno might not go over so well right now? Instead, Zoe has offered to come and make dough on your left thigh, leaving behind little claw pricklets, then sleep upside down in your lap for as long as you like.