Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Lisa Pressman and Elise Wagner Workshop


I had the good fortune this past week to attend a 4 day workshop with 2 accompished artists; Lisa Pressman and Elise Wagner


Jersey Girls.


We started off with mark making and monotype.


Each student had a unique way of doing the exercises.


After working awhile in black and white we added color.


Here Lisa demonstrates her painting approach. 
She paints fast and loose as she lays down the initial layers of cold wax and pigment sticks. 


In the evenings part of the group would meet to continue the painting exploration over food and adult beverages. I had such great class mates; it really added to the enjoyment of the experience.


This is my work area showing some of the initial stages.


And these are the paintings that I brought home. 


I learned so much during the critiques.













 









We all met at Butters Gallery on the last day where Lisa and Elise are showing their work. 
(I highly recommend seeing this show if you can.)  
We watched slides and had discussions, asked questions, shared information.



Lisa standing in front of one of her mixed media oil paintings.


 And my favorite of Elise's paintings above. 


After the last day of class we met at a local pub for a final unwinding and summing up. It was hard for me to say good-bye to these wonderful friends. All of us passionate about painting, improving, creating in our unique languages. 

Participating in the mystery, the alchemy. The best. 

8 comments:

Kathie Vezzani said...

I am thrilled that you had such a fabulous time. Looking at the last picture made me want to jump right in and be part of the celebration.

Amanda said...

*sigh...this is lovely.

Dianna Woolley said...

Judy, it was great to see you and work with you last week. I LOVE your website and your altogether beautiful work. I think your workshop work looks awesome. You were much too modest in your self criticism. Again your work is great. Your clay work is so charming....what price ranges do your figures sell? xoxiDianna

Jan Davis said...

Amanda summed it up..."sigh...this is lovely." So enjoyed looking at the paintings you said you were bringing home. And it looked like such a pleasant atmosphere to work in!

Kay said...

Judy, Looks like you had an Amazzzzzzzzzzing time & a great way to start offf the New Year!! I love all the pics and artwork but I have to ask....You and I are in total agreement of Elise's piece being your favorite!! Is this also encaustic & any idea of the process??? I love it!! Thanks so much and may 2015 be your Best year ever!! Smiles & Blessings, Kay

Sharon Lynn Williams Fine Art said...

Hi Judy:so envious of you all!! I miss you guys. Will you be at ECamp this summer? Was your work in cold wax or encaustic? Great work by the way!

Judy Wise said...

Sharon, I plan to visit ECamp but not teach. This work was all cold wax. Thank you for your comment. xo

Denise Sagan said...

Thank you, for posting these pics, Judy. I recognize several of your classmates from ECamp- Amanda, Colleen and Diana and You! I need to take this class!