Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Doing What I Do




I'm reading and painting. I started with Gerhard Richter's "The Daily Practice of Painting". It's the perfect book if you need permission to trust your gut. I keep looking for the absolute answers in regards to what is good, how I can improve. Gerhard will strip all that away. He has so many opinions about art and painters that by the end of the book I was ready to throw out all theory and just paint. Whew! I needed that. Thank you, Gerhard.


I have less than 2 weeks before returning to Oaxaca. In that time I vow to paint every day. I'll post them here. Every painting is a brave experiment. I'll be the first to confess that painting is scary and that I am self critical. So it's a wrestle with myself to get anything out at all.


What would make me happy is to think that my courage could give you the courage to explore as well. I had a great conversation with a friend this week who confessed that she wont even start because she is so self critical and perfectionistic. 

That's the enemy. That voice in your head. 

Challenge it. Don't let it stop you.

xo

18 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

Paint on, Brave and beautiful one!!!

Pilgrim said...

Thinking of you as I do and knowing my awe and appreciation for your talent, these words give me hope and comfort to do what I do and to do it more. Thank you dear friend.

satwagypsy said...

love you Judy Wise one...in love with your authenticity, brave on~

Ellen said...

Thank you Judy I really needed to hear this today

Serena Barton said...

Such a lovely post. I completely relate and it is helpful to read your words.

Megan P. Ernst said...

Beautiful paintings and a great message. Thank you for the book recommendation--I'm always struggling to let my creative side win over my desire to be perfect. It usually is best to just go for it! :)

Joan Tucker said...

Judy, ever since that day at Collage when you spoke subtle words of questioning.. something like..oh so you are not following the rules as I painted a huge face with feathers.. I have had permission to go for it. it is getting better and better. the self critic that you speak about mostly shuts up and lets me be happy because in deed thanks to you and Katie and Gillian and Pauline and Lisa and Elise I am so happy when I am painting.. you deserve to also shut up that critic because you must enjoy the joys of art also. Gratitude overflows when I think of the influence you and the others have had. Happy times in Mexico and just know your critic will get bounced if we "your students" have a say.

Karen Cole said...

I gotta get me one of those books too!

You da woman!!!

Ooooo oaxaca.cant wait to see your photos. Enjoy.

Wendy Watson said...

Amen! Whatever your creative calling, it isn't going to grow if you don't let it see the sunshine!

Carol said...

When I saw these I wondered what you were doing to paint so loosely and beautifully. They scream courage. Going to read that book. This is what I am striving for. Thankyou!

Caterina Giglio said...

So right, you are! Xo

Wax and Paper said...

You, my friend, are one of the wisest women I know. I take your challenges seriously. Thank you.

Galia Alena said...

Love the book recommendation, thank you. And YES to silencing that inner voice that stops you before you even start.
Xx

Tara's Art Camp said...

Yes challenge it dont let it stop you. Xoxo

Kelly Kilmer said...

Thank you, Judy, for everything that you do!
Love the book recommendation. After some searching, found it on ebay for a decent price. Can't wait. Hugs and thanks!

Parabolic Muse said...

Oh, I can't believe that book exists! I can't wait to read it! Although, with my inability to get anything at all finished, I think you may have to act it out for me.

Oh, wait... you already are!!!

xoxxoxoxxoxo
C baby

Michele R. Unger said...

You are so brave, dear Judy. You have that wonderful gift of passing your bravery on to the people around you. I know that from personal experience.

Trust your gut!

XO

Picnic Locations in Gurgaon said...

I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.