Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Barcelona and Can Serrat 6


Precious hours. Filled with gratitude. Surrounded by beauty. 

"A poet is a nightingale who sits in darkness and sings to cheer its own solitude with sweet sounds; his auditors are as men entranced by the melody of an unseen musician, who feel that they are moved and softened, yet know not whence or why."     
Shelley

 Yes. I have heard the nightingale singing at Can Serrat.



We are joined at Can Serrat by the latest resident, a painter from Denmark named Grethe Mariann Maurseth. Yesterday Grethe, Melissa and I went by bus into Barcelona and had a day relaxing in the city.


Here is Melissa as we wait for their beer and my Limoncello.


And in the foyer of the Picasso Museum.


Evidence.


Back at the residence Felix goes about his business.


Felix and Luna really do seem to be in love. They hang together quite a lot. Felix arrived at the residence first and after a short time brought his "wife". They are a beloved family here.


One morning I let myself into an empty room and shot atmospheric photos. I love the old paint on the plaster walls and the diaphanous curtains on all the windows. The light is amazing.


Five I think is the most beautiful number. I love its shape and variations in typeface design.


Beauty.


I continue to scribble and play.


I don't need a subject. Just the movement of my body across a broad canvas.


I took this shot after I'd mistaken a bottle of poisonous medium for my water bottle. I had the bottle in my mouth before something warned me that something wasn't right. I was so deep in the process of painting. This is probably why you shouldn't eat or drink in the studio. All is well though, I didn't actually drink any.


The blue painting evolves.


One more session should do it.


Can you see the dressmaker's form in the middle of the studio? I wrapped Melissa in duct tape to make a mannequin for her textile creation. She has such a tiny waist. I made one of my body two years ago and it was shaped like a penguin.


Tonight musicians are coming and we're having adult beverages and a big big party with the people who'll come from El Bruc and nearby towns. Can Serrat will rock! 

Later, 'gator. xo

20 comments:

Susan said...

Am loving your posts! You are creating some amazing art. This sounds like such a wonderful experience.

Petie said...

What a fabulous trip! Your photos are gorgeous, and your art is amazing!! :-)

lyle baxter said...

again wonderful photos! I love where your painting is going ! it could go to my house just as you show it on the latest post with the blue

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

So cool to see you standing at the Picasso museum and to know that our paths have crossed, virtually. I also sent Teesha & Tracy there when they went to Barcelona. (I gave them a list of things to see and they did pretty much all of it!) So you've also crossed paths with them now too.

Imagine my 16 year old self there in 1987.

Anonymous said...

I love your paintings! I have always been so inhibited with mark making. Yours are free and alive!

And omg I can see why you thought that medium was a water bottle! I thought it was a water bottle as I saw the picture. I thought, "why is she taking pictures of water bottles?" until I read a little further. May be you should contact the manufacturer and show them that picture.

After while crocodile.

Janie Husband said...

what a treat your photos are with my morning coffee.... ;-)

Lynn Cohen said...

:Oh Judy, look at those arches and roses...
I love the young womans golden and dark curls....
the cats are heaven love...
omigod I thought you were showing us the brand of Kirkland which is what we have at Costco here. Please stay conscious of your surrounds my dear friend. Put the medium in a rusty tin can you would not dream of drinking from.
I agree the manufacturer should be made aware!!!
I love the art you call scribbles...and am so glad you are having GOOD days there! Keep enjoying and thank you ever so much for sharing this with us.

Jan's Art and Musings said...

Judy, love your art, love the photos. Thank you for sharing this experience with us. You look soooo happy!

Gloria Martin said...

I'm swooning!!!

Unknown said...

i'm so loving that you are having such a glorious experience. Think I'm flying in tomorrow.. I am prepared to sleep on the floor! (kidding, of course..) but, your posts make me feel as if I am watchi

Unknown said...

With sheets?, pillow, blanket? do I need to bring my own towels? Memories...

Unknown said...

Awesome. I can't say I've ever heard a nightingale sing but it's the name of my street. :) All this goodness will find it's way into your paintings no doubt. A few posts back you mentioned a costumer was there too. I'd love to see pics of her work! I love dress up. Have fun rockin out and Happy Mothers Day!
♥Jenny

Anonymous said...

I do love your posts ... almost like being there. Thank goodness you did not drink it! I hate to think how that would have really messed up your wonderful trip! (lol)...

say**yes said...

Judy, Thank you for these delightful posts! It's almost like going along with you, and everything is so colorful and bright and beautiful! Your paintings inspire me to get the paint out and get going! :-) Big hugs, Patricia

IsAug said...

AMAZING! I'm so glad you got to enjoy all these. I can't wait to visit with my daughter in mid June!!

Clare Wassermann said...

I'm in love with that place. You're whole post is turning my eyes greener! I think that blue painting is exquisite .... Especially benefitting from the space of the lower right. Some things are best left unsaid...

dorylyn said...

Such beauty! I am excited to see the finished blue painting you are working on!

pauline said...

oh Judy, you look like you're having SO much fun!! The photos are all so beautiful, and the paintings are magnificent. Thank you so much for taking us along. I can only imagine how creative one must feel to be surrounded with such beauty. xoxo

Mari said...

You were not shaped like a penguin! I saw those photos and you had a very nice shape with a nice little waist! The art you are creating there is fabulous and you look like you are having a grand time!

Parabolic Muse said...

wait the hell up. YOU love lemoncello too?!? What are we, severed at birth, or some years later, or maybe in high school?

now I know where my other shoe is.

THAT CANVAS! My P.O. Box is too small for that. Just put it on my porch.

xox