Pages

Monday, May 03, 2010

Rizzle Frazzle


Stephanie and I returned home late Sunday night from our photo shoot and my head is still in a swim. So many experiences packed into those 9 days so tightly with no time to really digest everything. In the shot above our plane is passing over Mt. Hood at dusk after two long and bumpy flights. I was numb to it; at that point I had let myself sink into a state of blissful torpor as I reran the experiences.


One of those experiences was at this restaurant where we ate Italian food so dripping with good olive oil and garlic that we spent some time in heaven. In fact, the wonderful food was a highlight of the trip. Our standing editor Julie and our photographer Christine took us out to lunch every day to the great eateries of Cincinnati and we ate like royalty.


This is what the F & W studio looks like where the book photography is done. Those lights are not bright or hot; when the photos are taken they are augmented with flash. Julie is sitting to the right side of Stephanie where she records every step of our projects and techniques. This will help us later when the actual writing takes place.


Here I am showing a step in one of my projects while Christine takes a shot from above. The room we worked in was very large so we could spread out and make a big mess.


In addition to all the shots for the book, Stephanie and I appeared in three promotional videos for the book. These videos were shot in this room with lots of incredible equipment. Since I am now a quiet person Stephanie did all the talking which drove me crazy. I had to sit on my hammy instincts and let someone else speak for a change.


Stephanie and I managed to get in several good shopping trips while we were there. One of her hauls was this chartreuse metal-flake phone cover. She be lookin' mighty stylish talkin' on that phone now. I don't think she takes a bad picture. (you can take that both ways) Check out her blog posts about our trip too; here and here and here. She had more posting energy than I did.


We both captured shots of this precious dress at a big vintage store we visited. The store was rows on rows enormous and we spent a few hours there combing through the goodies. There was great furniture but too big to ship home so I left with only a few treasures.

One day we visited a nature trail to see if we could spy some cardinals. We don't have cardinals in Oregon so it was a huge thrill to see them flying over our heads and landing in the trees around us. The honeysuckle was beginning to bloom that day and the birdsong was like nothing I've ever experienced before. That powerful fragrance coupled with the joyful singing of the birds was amazing. I fell in love with the soft warmth and luscious forested hills of Ohio and Kentucky. I had no idea that place would be so green and beautiful.


This photo sums it up for me. One rather rickety old gal and one young woman in her prime joining talents and hearts to create a dream. We said many times to each other that this book will be so much better as a result of our collaboratiion. Fate allowed me to make this photo shoot in spite of a few hurdles. Stephanie was the strength I leaned on in Ohio. She held me up and I did not wobble.

Thank you again to those of you who have continuously sent your well wishes. I even dreamed about that last night. I think those messages of hope have sunk down deep into my soul where they give me ongoing sustenance. I send that love and encouragement back out to all of you too as you face your own hurdles and celebrations. It's hard, it's easy, it's life.

21 comments:

Sarah said...

This all sounds exhausting yet lots of fun! Is this the plaster book? Can't wait to see the results!

aimee said...

the process of your trip sounds just as fascinating as the book itself! the pictures are terrific - the first one especially, with its layers of mountain and words and flight.

Jen said...

So fun to hop on here and see these photos! I did the photo shoot week last October and had a blast. That little italian place- it was my favorite although Christine had to have taken you to the place that had the yummy sun dried tomato dipping sauce with their bread. Wish I could remember the names...

Your book sounds amazing! Can't wait to see it!

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Oh Judy, thanks for sharing your adventure. It is all so interesting and exciting and I am so happy that you did in fact get to go. I will be very anxious to get my hands on your book.

Kim Mailhot said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. The photo shoot process looks so cool. I am glad that you and Stephanie had one another to go through that adventure with.
Big big love to you, Wonderful One !

Ro Bruhn said...

I didn't realize how much work goes into publishing.
It all looks very exciting, almost like making a movie.
Can't wait to see it. Glad you're making a speedy recovery too.

katie said...

i loved getting a peek at yours and steph's adventure, thanks for sharing with words and photos. this book is going to be so fabulous i can hardly wait. it is definately one i plan on preordering if that means i'll get it quicker!

i miss you.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Oh thank you for the intimate looks behind the camera and you on the wing.

I too am riding the tail of a whirlwind. New book out and lots of out of state tv, radio, and appearances. NOT as much fun as your trip, but I will soon be in Ohio and Kentucky, two places I love.

I want to adopt Stephanie!

Sending love and all good wishes for your continued creativity and circle of love and light.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

rebecca said...

i love each word. each picture. i love you. and dreams. friendship. and this bumpy ride we call life.
you inspire me over and over....
and then some.
love you,
rebecca

femminismo said...

Rizzle frazzle. Is that how you feel after your trip? This is exciting news - about a book and photo shoot. Plaster? Yay! Will love reading about any art project you dream up. Be well and rest.

jgr said...

What fun to see and read about your trip! I am thrilled that you liked the hills and cardinals in Ohio-(my home state). As always your words and sentiments inspire me.

Katherine said...

I personally CANNOT WAIT to see this book!!! Thanks for letting us peek into the making of it.

Lynn Cohen said...

What an exciting and fun trip this was. Love the idea of flying over Mt Hood (where my son and DIL were married two, nearly three years ago now)...I"m not sure what book you are publishing, but how exciting and wonderful! Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Is it October yet? :-)

Stephani Gorman said...

What a wonderful peek into an exciting weekend! I bet you and Stephani are excited to move onto the next step! Looks like there are alot of steps to putting a book together! Glad you are all home safe and sound.:)

And so it goes... said...

Fascinating! Thanks for giving us a peek into the world of publishing! I never really stopped to consider all the steps involved in creating a how-to book. Makes me appreciate it all the more! I just cannot wait to get my hands on your book! I'll be drooling, I'm sure... So glad you're recovering. debbie

peggy said...

I live just 3 hours from where you were and it indeed is beautiful. Been thinking about you often and love your positive spirit. Were all facing nasty stuff but a smile on our faces goes a long way doesn't it. You encourge me with your positive spirit. Prayers and positive thoughts are always coming your way.

lorrie grainger abdo said...

I enjoyed seeing some of the process of getting the book accomplished. I worked in advertising for years so I've been on many photo shoots but none as process-oriented. I'm glad that you got to make the trip despite all that life is throwing you right now.

Seth said...

What a lot of work. But what fun! I found this post fascinating and am happy to have had this inside view of the publication process.

Leslie said...

What an exciting adventure you girls are having! Thank you for sharing it here. You are an inspiration, and I can hardly wait to see the fruits of your efforts.

xo

MB Shaw said...

Love hearing the details of your photoshoot. Christine did mine too and she is a doll. And yeah, it makes your head spin. I actually bought some of that olive oil to bring home so I could hopefully replicate the taste? It was so good, I didn't even want a meal.
What vintage place? I must check it out next time I'm there.

Gardanne said...

Hi Judy, I found your blog through Stephanie, I am taking her e course on metal smithing. In fact I remember seeing you at Squam last September. I just spent some time catching up on all you have been through lately. I love your attitude and you have some amazing friends, but you already knew that.
I forget which post, but you said with experience you now treat each day like a performance. That stuck with me, I spend too much time looking back and forward. Thank you for your insight, and I am sending lots of good thoughts your way.
I definitely think you should do an e course, you sound passionate about teaching, I would be the first in line.