Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Making Time

The week has been a blur of preparations for teaching. I have been putting in the hours to make sure all is in readiness for Art and Soul. But tonight there was a small break to visit friends; two interesting people who also have many irons in the fire. The etching above was done by Gene Flores as part of his series of Loteria cards. Gene is a teacher and master printmaker. I have introduced you to his work before but this visit brought a new surprise.

Joan is a wonderful gardener and a "sometimes" artist. But look what she has been up to lately. She took us up to her sewing studio and showed us the work she has been doing based on some of Gene's designs. These photos only give you a rough idea of the tiny pieces of fabric and the intricate craftsmanship that has gone into these quilts. They are stunning.

The next few photos were taken in Gene's studio and show his etch press and some of his printmaking tools.

Long ago and far away I had a 12 year affair with oily tarletons, gel rollers and paint thinner. It was an enchanted period.

Now I admire from afar and applaud the work of younger talents like Gene. He spins legends and wonders out of his imagination and brings them to life for us to enjoy.

His work disturbs me in the most wonderful way. It's the oogly-boogly part of the imagination that shows us a world beyond our comprehension and that is part of life too.

Meanwhile, Gene is a earthy man who loves to garden and cook. Tonight he cooked these things for us.

Chili Colorado, Chili Verde, Mole, beans, rice, homemade flour tortillas, homemade ice cream and fall raspberries from his lovely garden.

No matter how wound up I get in my own plans and work, a visit with friends makes time stand still and soothes my spirit. We had calm weather and sunshine today; a golden fall sunset and a little time in the studio to play in my journal. This was a good day.

15 comments:

mzjohansen said...

What a good visit with the best of friends. You needed that! Enjoy Art & Soul. Travel safe.

Anonymous said...

that meal looks really good. How nice to have such creative friends. The art work/quilts were interesting,beautiful and fun to look at. Thank you for sharing your visit.

Anonymous said...

tell gene i'm on my way over on my trusty steed.
tell him no need to go to any fuss, just prepare the same exact thing for me.
also tell him i'll take him for a horseback ride when we're finished eating.
there's plenty of places i want to take gene.

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow, those quilts are amazing. Such wonderful work! I am so impressed with this artists work.

Anonymous said...

oh sh*t i just saw gene's wedding ring.
okay well i'm still coming for dinner.
no riding off on the trusty steed though.
i promise.

A.Smith said...

Gorgeous work! Those quilts are not to be used but to admire everyday hanging like the beautiful art pieces they are. And the plate looks pretty good from here, yummy homemade tortillas and I swear I could smell the chilis.

Caught in A&S madness I wish I have time to visit with friends, but I will this week at A&S. Hope to see you there, say hi to John

Allegra

Maija said...

I think you have a great family, great friends, great food and a great life, Judy! Bravo!
ox

Anonymous said...

oh my corazon
what splendid art!!!
and I'll have THAT for dinner

have fun Judy - wish that I was going to be there...

xox - eb.

kelly barton art + design said...

oh i am in love....and that meal, yum!

Candace said...

Judy, just reading this makes everything seem calm and quiet, even the oogly boogly. Thanks for sharing this visit to your friends.

Love that first image, too.
Candace

Anonymous said...

YUM to all of it- I studied etching very briefly- I wish it had been longer- I still love it and want more! And if invited to dinner, I will protect Gene from Pancha Villa- that naughty girl!

Susan Tuttle said...

Hi Judy!
First off, I want to dive into that plate of yums! -- those perfect tastes washed down with a margarita would put me on cloud nine!

Thank you so much for the tour of your artisan friends' studios and artwork -- I loved being a fly on the wall and seeing the experience through your eyes.

Have a glorious time at Art and Soul as I know you will -- I miss you lots!

Susan
xo

Ro Bruhn said...

Fabulous all round, those quilts are amazing, something else to take up one day,sigh.

femminismo said...

Speaking of "making time" I had to drop by and say "good job" even though I'm LATE for work! Yikes. - jeanne

Anonymous said...

i love you judy.
xo
jen gray