Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Stencil Fun

I woke up this morning with serious stencil withdrawal. This usually happens when I'm supposed to be doing something else; in this case cleaning the house for a guest and getting laundry caught up. Bor-ring. Forget I even brought it up. So of course I printed out a photograph from the stash Peggy-from-Ohio sent me. (kisses Peggy, wonderful photos!)

I always try out the first copy in my journal and then make a few more cuts before investing hours into the collage part. But I love the long, lazy session of choosing pretty papers and pasting, composing, digging through the stash.

I made 2-8x10 canvases with the stencil. Here they are. Guess which one I like the least. (ha ha. hint: it's nearly a toss-up.)

I guess I was just expecting more and I do think I can do better but not today. Any day in the studio is a good day whether you love the outcome or not. Now I REALLY have to clean the house.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I may have caught the bug - these are gorgeous - I'm keen on the middle one - but they are all singing...

xox - eb.

MB Shaw said...

This is oh-so-cool, I've never thought of making a stencil from a photo like that. And now I want to run into the studio and do it myself. Instead of packing the truck for the show I need to hang. Hahahaha.

Heather, paperfollies.typepad.com said...

well, those are just darling! i would love to know how to make a stencil like that!
thanks for the beautiful inspiration...reminding me i can get in the studio even on days filled with cleaning (blech) and weeding (not as blech, but in this heat and humidity...blech).

Maija said...

I love your stencil work! It would make a good class....
Both of them look marvelous to me!

Judy said...

i adore how the last image turned out!

aimee said...

your visit made my day... i love your work so much! i'm preparing to do some papercutting this weekend; love your stencil idea! xoxo

Dale said...

Your stencil here is so stunning! I absolutely adore the way you made a stencil from the photograph. You are truly skilled in the stencil making :)

Martha Marshall said...

What beautiful pieces. I wouldn't be able to choose a favorite. Found you on The Altered Page, and will be checking back. Your blog is gorgeous and inspiring!

Anonymous said...

see, now this is sheer inspiration! I had signed up for a stencil course and wondered what the hell I did that for until I see your stuff...NOW I am burning rubber to get there....cheers from Dneese