Pages

Friday, July 11, 2008

A July Day

The canvas above shows photographs of my very own ancestors; it was done for Project Eight in a variety of mixed media techniques. It's wonderful to have photographs of your ancestors to dream over, don't you think? To see your features in their features and to wonder over how nature uses the same genes over and over, just like artists do to recombine and create anew. I see my mother in me now as I get older and my father's stern English features too. My parents were both intelligent though without advanced education and they were ethical and conscientious in all they did. I got that from them and it is the best part of me. I wish I could thank them now. I was a bratty kid, it's all easier to see from this vantage point.

Well, enough about me, let's look at my journals now - ha ha. Blah blah blah goes my overheated brain. That's all you need to be an artist. A broken thermostat.

My daughter once described me as monomaniacal. Funny how something like that stays with you. I do not dispute it. How can I when I look at these pages crammed full of what falls effortlessly out of my head in addition to all the think think thinking I do. Aaaargh.

Here I am just being neat and tidy. I can do that too. In my busy business way. Oh, I've been working. Prepping kits for my upcoming classes, making lists, schedules, filling orders. And the emails! Aye with the emails.

Then at some point to clear my head I walk outside for a mental health break and pluck a few ripe strawberries and my world slows down and my brain shuts up and bliss descends as the sweet nectar takes me back to my purely animal nature. Five senses. I have to remember to use all of my senses, to be a happy animal, as well as living in my big, monomaniacal brain.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

..sometimes we need nature to clear our brain.....memories...thoughts...but....I think we live in a beautiful world...
KIsses barbara

Jonna said...

My mouth is watering remembering the taste of sweet Oregon strawberries....oh how I miss them...sighhhhhhhhh

Southern Girl said...

I followed the link over from femminismo's "One Day at a Time" blog, and I was joyfully surprised to find you, whose art on the cover of this month's Skirt magazine I had just been admiring with a friend only three days ago. I'll definitely keep checking back to discover what you're working on! Take care and be well!

Tricia said...

oh how your journals inspire me!
i am starting to see my mom in me also, in my hands and in the area around my mouth. strange the feelings it brings up.

and i can't imagine you being a bratty child!

many wishes for a happy relaxed weekend.

xo,

Gina M Smith said...

Your work on your blog banner is so beautiful! I love your Animal Dreams (cat) also, and the casting looks fun. Love that doll from Goodwill also.

Judy said...

In my next lide i want to journal like you!!! well maybe without so much colour - lol!

trisha too said...

You things are so interesting, and
I love using images of my real life family in art. It makes it so meaningful.

and those strawberries are unreal . . . ours our tiny by comparision!

Pilar said...

I am completely envious of your beautiful strawberry harvest. Both you and the gentleman farmer have the most amazing green thumbs. When I read your posts I often am reminded of the spirit of Wordsworth and the celebration of the godhead in all things green, in the life cycle, in the tilling of the soil.

Your journals constantly amaze me. Your print and entries just flow into the images, pulling the piece into its entirity. :D

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that ancestor collage! So dreamy. And I aspire to be as creative at home as your cousin in her purple house. Happy, happy mid-July and may it be filled with bloomin/ hydrangeas.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear dear Judy
your journals and strawberries runneth over.....

Candace said...

Beautiful post with the journal pages, and I so enjoyed the Ancestors page. Oh, I am monomaniacal too. LOL! I see I am in good company...

big hug,
Candace

Amy Wing said...

Judy, I adore your journal pages... I haven't tried any yet, myself, but my greatest hope is that they'll look something like yours (with my own personal monomaniacal twist, of course!).