Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

Hawaii and Journal Pages


Wow. This is my 767th post. I've been blogging since 2006. Admittedly I dont post as often as I used to but I'm still at it. Kind of amazing when so many blogs seem to be dropping by the wayside.


So our core family just returned from a short vacation and it was good. We were the pasty white Oregonians on the beach; limping over the sharp lava and laughing at ourselves.


We took a submarine ride.


Posed for selfies.


Got mosquito bitten.


Spent part of every day journaling, painting and reading.


Enjoying the big house up on a coffee farm that we rented through Air B & B. (Thank you, Shelly Shinjo for that recommendation.) It's called the Black Manta Farm if any of you are interested in staying away from the tourists on the beach.


We were spoiled by the bidets and heated toilet seats.


John tried to tell us we were on "Das Boot" but we didn't let him get away with that.


We all snorkled and a couple of us took turns on the paddle boat. Man, that was fun!


Our ancient equipment worked as good as ever.


Vacations are always over too soon, aren't they?


So a few journal pages.


While I was in Hawaii I read all of Elizabeth Gilbert's book Big Magic and I loved it. She says all the things that I teach; we can all do it if we want to, this is our legacy as smart monkeys, to be able to make things and use our imaginations. To create art and to create the lives we dreamed of as children. So thank you Elizabeth for your encouraging and generous book. 


Another book I've just read is Lynda Barry's latest book, Syllabus. I love Lynda and have all her books. She is sooo advanced without being dry; explains how the brain and imagination works as only an artist could explain it. I wish I was a student in her class although I fear my brain was too warped by the kind of art education I had to ever really get over it. I don't blame any of my schools; it is really just the messages of this culture. The messages that I try to undo in my classes. 


I love to see how people are breaking free from old ways of thinking and bravely working it out for themselves. Slowly and surely each one of us moves the best we can toward truth and beauty. That is my prayer. I too see the frustration and hopelessness that moves some to acts of violence but am grateful that in such an enormous population only a few are so misguided. 

And that's about it. I cry for injustice but I believe most of us live out our days in kindness and love. 
Namaste.

13 comments:

Pilgrim said...

767 Posts, how wonderful. I love how you Journal. I want to thank you for introducing me to 30 days of painting on the same canvas. Thank you Judy for just being you

Lynn Cohen said...

so happy you could enjoy all that beauty and bliss with your family Judy. Love your idea of a bathing suit. LOL Yes, cover me up! But you would have looked fine in a deep V neckline too and bare back. Perhaps you wanted more sun protection?
Brave of you to climb on that sea board! I of course LOVE your art journals. I bought a new blank hand made one in Port Townsend a few weeks ago, and am planning to used it as a diary journal, as yours seem to be, starting in January. Stay well. Life can be grand.

Gigi said...

What a heavenly vacation with your family. And those clothes! I must get up and write and draw in my art journal immediately!

Bev said...

How wonderful to have a family holiday looks great and I love your journal pages they inspire me ...

Kim Mailhot said...

Such a sweet family time. I always love seeing how you live life so juicy, Judy! Big love to you!

Judy Wise said...

Lynn, I have a bathing suit on but wore a little black T-shirt over the top of it for her son protection. I got so many sunburns in Arizona I thought I would save myself. And have a great time sketching in your new journal. I look forward to seeing what you do I know you'll have a great time.

lyle baxter said...

what a great vacation and what good thoughts in this unbelieveable week of killing! what will we all do to solve this current situation. what to do about the refugees? it is grim and your post is encouraging!

Melody said...

Thank you for always sharing your journaling with us....what journal do you use????

Judy Wise said...

Melody, I always make my own long stitch journals. They are 8 x 10". I like to use different paper in them all the time.

Judy Wise said...

Big hug Glenda. We will meet some day.

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

I think these are the happiest pictures of John I have ever seen - must be because he is spending time with his 3 favourite girls!! As always, love seeing pictures of your journal pages and reading about your travels, thank you for sharing, dear one.

Unknown said...

beautiful judy.. love your words. love you.

Christina Frost Clayton said...

Once again I love you. Onto my third 4ft x 3ft paint every day for a month canvas. In one year I will exhibit them showing the process of working through adoption whilst studying a Master of Art Therapy course at uni. You're one of my inspirations. Namaste and God bless. Tina