Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pattern, Textile and Obsession


All this week I've been asking myself why we love what we love. Specifically, why have I always loved pattern, busy repeated pattern, particularly in textile and most particularly in Indian textiles. 


I suspect it has something to do with how it looks so much like woodblock printing which I also have loved from the beginning. I'm particularly drawn to the German Expressionists but not that picky. I also love linoleum prints and rubber stamps. I just wish we'd had the soft rubber to carve when I was in school, abusing my hands cutting large multiple plate prints out of plywood. Advice to young printmakers - cut nothing harder than basswood. Or risk carpal tunnel swelling. 


But I digress. This week I fell down the rabbit hole (again) of multiple block printing. In a smaller way since I take better care of my hands now. So I cut soft rubber, small plates, just enough to satisfy my yearning for prints, printing, playing with rollers and inks.


I printed a couple of scarves on white muslin, 100% cotton.


Used a combination of Versatex airbrush ink, Golden and craft acrylics and GAC 900.






I liked the first one until I put the ochre color on. Not horrible but I knew it could be better.


So I got up this morning determined to keep the border darker than the center.


Tried this color combination.


Yes, I like it better.


Now I have 5 yards of cotton and a lot of silk that I want to play with in the indigo dye pot next. All the while I'm doing this I'm dreaming of a trip a friend is planning early in 2016 in Jaipur, India. Not a teaching trip for me but just for immersion in the art and culture of India. John has even agreed to come along. We'll visit textile factories and take some workshops there from the Indian artisans. I'm terribly excited to go and much later I'll introduce you to the woman who is organizing this. She's a world traveling gypsy who's been to India before and is going to make the trip wonderful.

Funny where our rabbit holes take us, isn't it? 

Follow your bliss.

xo

16 comments:

satwagypsy said...

In love with this my friend....the fabric, India and mostly you:)

Pilgrim said...

your talents and interests amaze me. I love the prints you have made. and now you will be going to India, so wonderful.

Michele R. Unger said...

Judy, these are a WONDER! I love your scarves and share your passion for pattern, printing, woodblocks, carving (something soft!) and Indian textiles. India is such a feast for the eyes, I can not tell you how much fun I had just gawking. And the prints are luscious, and the cotton ones relatively cheap. You can have hand block printed tunics made for a song. Trust me, I did! What fun you'll have. So happy for you!

XO

Unknown said...

OMG, you are amazing, these are gorgeous!!! So excited for your adventures💕💕💕

Sending love to you! xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Love how they turned out!

http://missdaniellerenee.blogspot.com/

Sharon Tomlinson said...

I love what you are doing. Everything about it; fabric, design, colors, printing. Everything. It speaks to me but lord help me form this rabbit hole just now. xo

Kate Fernyhough said...

gorgeous prints, I love how the repeat pattern works!!

Seth said...

Love these Judy. And it was a lot of fun to follow along with your thoughts and process.

Ruth Armitage said...

So Beautiful! Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

Stephani Gorman said...

So fun! I love your patterns!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Judy. I do like that ochre version though. Wow, what a dream trip for you...rabbit hole is a wonderful journey of the serendipitous. xox

Judy Coates Perez said...

Love this Judy!!!

Jackie PN said...

Judy, these are just gorgeous! the blue and the orange ones have a Morocco feel to them! Love your creativeness!

Judi Delgado said...

They are ALL wonderful. And I personally LOVE the ochre. It's been lovely to see you take off on this path. Fun.

shawnboar said...

honestly i love your rabbit holes....these are lovely.

Lynn Cohen said...

I think these are all gorgeous Judy. It's exciting to see you delving into different art form or new again forms. As long as you are having fun that is all it is about! Hope to visit soon.
India! I do want to hear all about that! Awesome!