Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Off to Telluride


It's been a beautiful week. Experimented with some new wax techniques. Unpacked and repacked for my next trip. Ran around in circles. Acted like I knew what I was doing. Finally did get settled down. 


The usual studio mess after teaching; after a frenzied bout of wax. This morning I got an e-mail from the person who is translating our book into German. I am floored. I have co-written a book that's being published in a foreign language. Is this really my life?.


Meanwhile the sun shines, the flowers bloom, the bees collect pollen and the days pass. I'll be taking a 4 day workshop with Rebecca Crowell this coming week. I know. I'm one lucky person.


This is another one of the wax portraits from last week's class. Somehow I missed posting it then and I really like it. Mary Beth Shaw painted it.


Happy journal pages. Summer is easy.


Starting a brand new journal. Always a momentous occasion in my little world. I start with a ceremony.


More wax play. 

And now I have a story you'll love. I've known Jessica Greene for over 3 years now after meeting her in New Hampshire. She has faithfully signed up for my classes wherever I've taught and we have formed a trusting and close friendship. She has been an eighth grade teacher for the past 5 years while her art dreams have been on the back burner. 


We met up again at the Encaustic Conference in Massachusetts where Jess was lamenting to my room mate Kimberly that she dreamed of going to an artist residency program where she could have some space and time to put together a body of work. An impossible dream; the kind we each have tucked away somewhere. The kind of thing that's too much to even hope for.

So Kimberly asked her how many programs she had applied to so far. Crickets. Jess had applied to none. Kimberly laughed and told her that to be accepted it was necessary to apply. This was in June.

Long story short. Jessica went home and applied to several residencies. She was accepted to one. OMG was she overjoyed!! She can go to Spain in October for one entire month if she can raise a little bit of money. 

Here's where we can become fairy godmothers. Even if you cannot contribute, reading her story here will warm your heart. It is a real blessing to witness a hopeful young artist as they strive toward their dreams. I hope Jess gets to Spain. I know the work that will come out of this will be thoughtful and will contribute to the well being of many people who haven't even met Jess. I love the way that works.

I'm wishing everyone's fondest dream could come true. Especially the ones that help others so that all might participate in the wide circle. See you down the road. xo 

11 comments:

Jess Greene said...

Judy, you have me almost in tears in the airport. I love you so much! Thank you for believing in me and teaching me and inspiring me. xo
Jess

Jennifer White said...

1. Hydrangeas... a favorite of mine!
2. Jess Green... can I live vicariously through her? Donation made... I wish I could send her the entire $2K! And Spain... it's number one on my list...amazing.

Susie said...

Hi Judy
Your studio looks well loved and lived in. I like that. I am always a bit suspicious of a pristine art studio, not that there is anything wrong with tidy. VBG!!!! I just have to share that I was able to pick up your and Stephanie's book on Friday. I am swooning over all of the possibilities and directions you both present. I have always been drawn to texture, some of my first works on canvas involved the use of many different texture mediums and have to admit the thought of using plaster never crossed my mind... and celebrating it's discovery through your book. BIG congrats on the book crossing language boundaries. That is awesome.

jill nalette said...

judy, i know i always leave you this but it's true i love you. what a delightful and inspirational woman you are.

xo + smiles being sent via universe! jill

Parabolic Muse said...

And I thought that no one, even yourself, could help make EVERYONE's dream come true...!

Great story. Thank you for sharing.

By the way, my workshop's messier than yours, nanner nanner.

Parabolic Muse said...

HEY! Have fun in Telluride!!


p.s. and it's not because i'm productive. i'm just sloppier than you. nanner nanner.

katie said...

i love the picture of you running around in circles :-) glad i'm not the only one.

Jess going to Spain - how cool is that!!

look forward to hearing all about telluride.

xo

Cassy said...

Nice wax portrait. Keep it up.

Cassy from Rock Guitar Lessons

Unknown said...

Wishing you happy painting in Telluride! I loved reading a bit about Jess. Now I'm dreaming about a residency, sounds amazing!!! I'm excited to help her get there! Can't wait to give you a hug very soon;)
Love you,
Jenny

rivergardenstudio said...

Oh Judy, I cannot thank you enough for how much I have learned from you!!! You and the other teachers have opened a new world for me. I love the experimentation and the messiness! I hope you have a wonderful time in Telluride!
And your hydrangeas are beautiful.
So is your studio... roxanne

Liette alias Pixelle said...

I would like to be able to paint with wax...Your creation is famous...I have to take a class but here in my little city, nobody can teach it like you...I am crying...hope to be able to see you one day...who knows...your studio is the prefect place I would like to be for learning...