Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

things and ships and sealing wax...

Today I finished making a paper boat for a project that fired my imagination. It's for a fundraiser for Mary-Ann's cottage, a living history museum in Soctland run by volunteers from the Caithness Heritage Trust. There is a blog showing the boats already submitted from all over the world here and so far surprisingly few are from the U. S. If nothing else go and admire the boats already collected; they are fabulous. You have until August 10th if you care to participate. Artists make good things happen! (More photos at the end of this post.)

I've been busy. Walking in the park with John.

Admiring the Queen Anne's Lace that grows along the path.

Basking in the sun that warms the meadow.

Meeting friends in the Hawthorne District to discuss art, travel, writing, Art Fiberfest, the desert.

Relationships, friendships, community and caring for each other.

Rice invited me to journal one afternoon at Reed College where Art Fiberfest was being held so I showed up and worked on my paper boat while Teesha and Tracy worked on their journal pages.

It was fun. Their journals are so beautiful and so uniquely their own. I always get inspired around journalers.

Meanwhile Rice taped and videoed and interviewed the people in the room for her next book. I learned a lot about the early days of stamping. (Check out Tiphoni and Theo's sites too.)

Admired somebody's beautiful tattoos. She's got the skin I would have in a wild dream.

This is one of the boats you will see when you visit the paper boat site. The tiny handmade books fit inside the boat.

Mine is paper, acrylic paint, amber shellac, india ink, beeswax and resin. For awhile it glued itself together and I thought all was lost but I persevered and it worked.

I put in the burning house to signify life's brevity; with the passing of several great artists this week I'm again reminded that we burn through our days; they pass as effortlessly as paper boats on the current.

12 comments:

Kelly Kilmer said...

ohhh, wish I had been a fly on the wall..looks like it was fun!!!

LOVE the boat!!!!!!!

LOVE the Tat!!!!

Deb's Artful Journey said...

What a surprise to see their photo cause I forgot youre friends with Rice & EGE! This is the first year I have missed AFF... and I cant believe they went, but I will see them in SF on Tuesday. I still wish I were at Reed! I will see you in Los Gatos on July 10.

Debbie

rebecca said...

you always fill me up...
ahhh but your last two sentences riveted my heart to your burning truth...

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

oh judy, i love this boat! I have been working on an oil painting for a few months now that is already titled- "The Wise Boat"- actually it's title is named after you! :) The inspiration came from an email you sent me several months ago.
hope you are having a lovely weekend!
xo

Poetic Artist said...

Judy,
I love the boat..I felt inspiration.

little red riding hood said...

the boat the boat the boat.
let's take it for a test drive.
i'll paddle you down the mighty Willamette with occasional stops for berry picking and skipping and picnicking.
all wolves will be avoided.
what say you?

Laura said...

Your words ring so very true Judy, and your work always inspires the heck out of me :>

LOVE your boat, off to check out that blog...

Lila Rostenberg said...

Beautifully expressed, re: paper boats on a current!

Lynn Fisher said...

Wow, looks like you're having a great time! Oh, if you're ever in Minneapolis, I'd meet ya for tea!

Debby said...

WOW!!! The boat is awesome.
debby

aimee said...

oh, oh, oh, you saw rice and earl... how wonderful! i finally met them earlier this year - such fascinating, funny, good people.

now i'd like to sail away in your little boat...

peggy gatto said...

I love the paper boat idea and what you created.
Life's journey goes on!
thanks!