Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Summer Ramble

Man, I love summer. Sleeping in, strong coffee, writing, visiting blogs, writing some more, strolling through the garden and then hitting the studio. Maybe some toast with Pilar's Apricot Pineapple Jam and butter.

Look who I found clinging to a corn stalk. I really must read the directions for my camera some day though. I know it has a macro setting but darned if I could find it in the excitement of the moment. Little froggie was no bigger than the tip of my thumb.

This is Mr. Hermanito looking sheepish after his walkabout. Now when he goes outside he has to have a minder. John follows him as he slowly scopes out his territory. Hermo told me he likes his new security guard.

I'm starting to pack boxes of art supplies for teaching at Art Unraveled in Arizona. Check out the studio chaos. Very confusing to keep everything straight and not leave anything behind. I finally figured out how to print and purchase the USPS labels on my computer and to put in a pick up request for the boxes. Thanks to Emma for putting that bug in my ear.

This is a dish of Verdolagas, part of our supper last night. It contains olive oil, crushed amaranth, chopped verdolagas, onion, green chilis and tomatoes. Shredded cheese is suggested as a garnish but we ate it with corn tortillas (it was spicy). If you go here you can read about the extraordinary nutritional benefits of this wonderful green.

(..."contains more Omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid in particular) than any other leafy vegetable plant. Simopoulos states that Purslane has .01 mg/g of EPA. This is an extraordinary amount of EPA for land based vegetable sources. EPA is an Omega-3 fatty acid normally found mostly in fish and some algae. It also contains vitamins (mainly vitamin C, and some vitamin B and carotenoids), as well as dietary minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, potassium and iron. Also present are two types of betalain alkaloid pigments, the reddish betacyanins (visible in the coloration of the stems) and the yellow betaxanthins (noticeable in the flowers and in the slight yellowish cast of the leaves). Both of these pigment types are potent antioxidants and have been found to have antimutagenic properties in laboratory studies.")

Here is John with the wonder plant. Mexicans know this plant as verdolagas but when I was growing up we just called it pigweed.

End of today's nature tour.

8 comments:

Carla Sonheim said...

Thanks for the tour, and great pics of the frog and Hermanito!

Sharon Tomlinson said...

I never knew what pigweed was and I never heard of verdolaga but it does look like what I know as purslane but not growing this tall. I wonder if it is the same as the purslane that grows spread on the ground. Thanks for the education. Now I'm off to read some of the links and check for a recipe for Verdolagas.

Lynn Cohen said...

It's always fun to come here and catch up on what you've been doing. It's always good art to look at...I love the photos too. the little frog came out well and I think you must have been in macro to get this close up. Kitty looks quite beautiful and detailed too. Well done.
Have fun in Arizona.

Lauren said...

today's posting was esp fun. hermanito is a beautiful kitty and your studio makes me feel like creating. if your camera is anything like mine, the macro button (good for photo'g textiles) has a little flower on it. thanks for always being an inspiration.

Candace said...

Great post, Judy. Love the nature walk. LOL. That Hermo... is he sheepish or is he planning his next move? What a sweet little visitor on the corn stalk...

Candace

Anonymous said...

summer ramble? yes please.
with a side of verdolagas.
that john. such a loving gardener and creative cook.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Judy (sorry, grew up in the south), what paints are you using in your journal? I'm starting my first "art" journal and I'd like to try some of the techniques you're using but don't know where to start. I hope you don't mind me asking.

I love your blog. I love the stories you share and the photos. I LOVE the wedding photos! OMG! They are divine! Makes me want to get married again *lol*.

Anonymous said...

OMG Judy. I have just bagged up "shipped out" a huge amount of purslane that invaded my garden while I wasn't looking!

I wonder if I should let it go and eat it?

If I wind up blowing up like a blow fish I will let you know. :-)