Pages

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Artfest Part 2

This was my view of the water outside my window. My little "desk". I love my cozy room at Artfest so much; it reminds me of childhood when I would hide under the grape arbor and pretend no one could see me. I love to feel enclosed and hidden and to be alone sometimes. I think many creative people do as we need the time to daydream without being observed.

This place is beginning to feel like a second home. I imagine young men passing through who are now the age my father would be if he were still alive. Beautiful, hopeful young men and I want to thank them for their earnest efforts to do be brave and to do their best.

This is the work of a diligent artist who cut out the detailed image above in the Waxy Layers class. The work was so varied from the students; that is what I hope I can share if more photos come in to me. If you were in the class, please email a photo to me of your project at judywise@canby.com. I didn't get photos of hardly any of the work (so many students, too busy teaching right up to and past the last minute, etc.) and I would love it if you would share what you did.

These 2 photos show an encaustic collage that combines the photograph of the artist's mother with a map of Greece where she was born along with symbolism representing her travel to the new country of the USA. I included 2 shots because in one you can appreciate the composition and in the 2nd you can see the wax.

Encaustics are notoriously difficult to photograph, even in good light. And good light at the fort is sometimes in short supply.

This is one of the floorcloths that was created in my 2nd class on Saturday. It represents the 4 elements as well as the 4 seasons and all of us fell in love with this piece. I hemmed the floorcloths so they could be hung on the wall from a brass rod and I think this one is without a doubt one that should be enjoyed as a painting. My hidden agenda was to trick people into painting large without worrying about perfection (after all, we're going to walk on them, right?) - I hope the students will go home and buy a big stretched canvas to play on now. They've already proven to themselves that they can paint large.

This is another encastic with embedded cheesecloth, gold foil transfer and little doors that swing open to reveal the Indian lovers inside. It is very dimensional and the fact that I got a shot of it in the darkened room was a small miracle. I hope you can make out some of the details.

On Thursday night I had the enormous pleasure of seeing in person Judy Wilkenfeld's Book of the 12 Tribes of Israel. She has beautiful shots of it on her blog but to see it in person is another matter entirely. Every element is meticulously collected, combined to tell the story in symbols and color, arranged and attached with skillful hands. Judy's skillful hands. She is a renaissance woman, inspiring to me on many levels. She is teaching several classes at Portland, Oregon's Art and Soul and anyone who studies with her will come away with the kind of information and knowledge that will enable them to make a leap to the next level.

Beside that she is down to earth and easy to talk to; not a bit of ego although she is truly all that. In the photo above, left to right: me, Judy Wilkenfeld, Diane Haven-Smith and Katie Kendrick. Sharing a happy moment together.

Finishing off with a stick drawing I made in Sas Colby's class. There is also tracing paper involved; after making the orange ink blotch we drew over it onto the tracing paper in sumi and painted on that with acrylic. The lady in the drawing seems very composed and relaxed; that's my goal for the coming week.

12 comments:

Pancho Villa said...

pancho villa strikes gold!
that's the headline
as i gallop off across the bloglands
leaping over fence and rail to gobble up another
artfest post from my favorite outlaw
giddyup

jwood said...

Judy,

I had such a great time in your floorcloth class. It was great fun to work big and play with paint all day. I real treat for sure.

Tyn said...

You are so tricky... I was day dreaming of a large canvas today- and after tea with pancho villa- I was gifted with one! Oh what a lucky girl I am to know two such arty outlaws!!!

also, I too was very struck by the essence of those who lived in those rooms before we came with our paint-

Judy said...

hey judy judy judy, it was such a joy to meet you and finally get to meet you irl. you are everything i thought you would be, wonderful, grounded and so friendly. i am so grateful to have met you and can't wait till we meet again and share more intimate and happy times. you are so the sweetie and honest woman i knew you would be. i only wish we had more time together. xoxoxoxxoxooxoxoxoxox

Ro Bruhn said...

What an inspiring view, I understand the cosy thing, I think that's why I have so much clutter around me when I work in my little bay window.
So glad you met Judy, she's a great lady and typical of Australians, we have the attitude that we're all equal and no big deal.
Ro
xo

katie said...

beautiful photos and wonderful thoughts from my favorite narrator. you certainly captured the austere beauty of our dorm building - i can't believe how many times we went up and down those stairs with arms full!

yesterday the exhaustion hit me like a ton of bricks, a sharp contrast from the "up" i'd been on for days. thinking of you, hoping you're coming down easy... xox

Carmen said...

Wow! Such amazing artwork. I just love that tree outside the barracks.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with those of us not yet lucky enough to attend!!!

xo,

Carmen

Sharon said...

Just want to thank you for sharing the experience and some of the creations. They are all beautiful.

Ms Dragonfly said...

hi, I was hoping you could help recommend some books to get me started. I am very interested in the mixed media, folk or primitive art. I would like to do paintings like that but I have a lot to learn. I would like to do stuff in the vein of you, Suzi Blu, Paulette Insall, Kelly Rae Roberts, and Tascha. I’ve searched for books on mixed media, it’s hard to find ones that are not just on collage mixed media. I would appreciate it if you would recommend some books to get me on my way.

thank you,
dinah

Carla Sonheim said...

Beautiful artwor, all of it. Especially love your last little drawing!!!

Karen Cole said...

Great Artfest stew you've served up here. A little bit of everything.

I've been to Art and Soul, so I have a bit of an idea of all of the joy that you feel....I'll be going to Hampton the first week in May. Wish you were teaching there. It's not the most beautiful place in the world, but it's only a 4 hour drive.

Hope you are as peaceful as your painting.

Julie Brill Molina said...

I saw the 12 Tribes book up close and personal the next day in town. It is AMAZING!